The Honorable Cyrus Bussey, a member of the upper house of the legislature from Davis County, became an Aide-de-camp on the staff of Governor Kirkwood soon after the outbreak of the rebellion, and was specially entrusted with the protection of our southern border. He procured arms and ammunition, and organized several companies of militia in his own country, Van Buren, and Lee. Upon the intelligence of the battle of Athens, Missouri, just beyond the border of our State, the people thereof for an hundred miles in the interior were not a little excited, and in large numbers rushed towards the scene of conflict with such weapons as could be hastily gathered. Colonel Bussey reached Athens on the morning after the battle, and found a large number of our people, not ill armed, ready to pursue the rebels who had been defeated by Colonel David Moore. Others demurred to invading the State of Missouri. Wherefore Colonel Bussey proceeded to St. Louis and obtained the requisite authority to use the militia of Iowa in Missouri in case of necessity. Major-General Fremont also requested Colonel Bussey to raise a regiment of horse for the United States service at Keokuk. Bussey consented, and the Third Iowa Cavalry was the result.

The 13th of August he issued a call for volunteers, requesting each volunteer to bring with him a good cavalry horse to sell to the government. On the 28th, there were a thousand men well mounted in rendezvous at Keokuk, and had the mustering officer been ready the command might have entered the service, nearly eleven hundred strong, on the first day of September. But a fortnight after this had not passed till the regiment numbering one thousand and ninety-six, officers and men accepted, formed a part of the volunteer Army of the Union. Colonel Bussey had for his second in command Lieutenant-Colonel Henry H. Trimble, and for majors Carlton H. Perry, Henry C. Caldwell, and William C. Drake. John W. Noble was adjutant; Rufus L. Miller, H. D. B. Cutler, and Glenn Lowe, battalion adjutants; T. D. Johnson, quartermaster; Thomas H. Brown, Commissary; D. L. McGugin, surgeon, with Christopher C. Biser, assistant; Rev. Pearl P. Ingalls, since so distinguished in Iowa for his exertions in behalf of the Orphans' Home, chaplain.'

It seems that the officials of the federal government could not keep pace with the energetic operations of our State officials and Colonel Bussey in other matters besides mustering, so that the colonel, in order to have his command ready for the field without needless delay, went to Chicago and contracted for clothing, blankets, tents, and horse equipments, which turned out to be the best the regiment ever received. Meanwhile, he had been placed in command of the Home Guards and Union forces in north


1 Below will be found the various officers of the regiment as shown by the reports of the Adjutant-General:&emdash;Colonels&emdash;Cyrus Bussey, commissioned August 10th, l861; John W. Noble, May 23d. 1864. . The former was promoted brigadier-general, the latter brevetted the same rank. Lieutenant Colonels- Henry H. Trimble, Henry C. Caldwell, Benjamin S. Jones. Majors-Carlton H. Perry, Henry C. Caldwell, William C. Drake, John W. Noble, O. H. P. Scott, George Duffield, John C. McCrary, Peter H. Walker, Cornelius A. Stanton. Adjutants-John W. Noble, Glenn Lowe, Thomas S. Wright. Surgeons-D. L. McGugin, George W. Carter; Assistants-C. C. Biser, William L. Orr, R. M. Warford, Thomas J. Maxwell, Samuel Whitten. Quartermasters-Enos T. Cole, T. D. Johnson, No one but the commissary named in the text is mentioned in the Adjutant-General's reports.

Chaplains&emdash;Revs. P. P. Ingalls. M. B. Wayman, James W. Latham.

LINE OFFICERS&emdash;Company A&emdash;Captains William Van Benthusen, M. L. Baker, James Hanlin, William B. Wilson. Lieutenants M. L. Baker, E. T. Cole, James M. Brown, David Letner, James Hanlin, Daniel Bradbury, E. W. Tadlock. Company B&emdash;Captains 0. H. P. Scott, John Q. A. De Huff, Samuel J. McKee; Lieutenants John Q. A. De Huff, Samuel J. McKee, Aaron H. Gage, William E. Forker. Company C&emdash;Captains Israel Anderson, William Wilson, Glenn Lowe; Lieutenants John W. Noble, E. J. Leech, William Wilson, James Linch, Alfred Roberts. Company D&emdash;Captains Norman W. Cook, George Curkendall, Fleming Mize, Francis Ross, William C. Niblack, Bryant E. Oliver, Thomas J. Miller, John A. Pickler. Company E-Captains George Duffield, Horace A. Spencer, Thomas C. Gilpine; Lieutenants John H. Easly, Horace A. Spencer, Thomas C. Gilpine, Edmund Duffield, Newton Batton. Company F-Captains Andrew M. Robinson, Benjamin F. Crail; Lieutenant Benjamin F. Crail C. L. Hartman, Marshall S. Crawford. Company G-Captains Emannuel Mayne, John C. McCrary, John S. Stidger; Lieutenants, John C. McCrary, John S. Stidger, James H. Watts, Charles B. Leech, John F. Watkins. Company H-Captains Jesse Hughes, Peter H. Walker; Lieutenants Hiram Bernes, George W. Newell, M. I. Birch, James R. Grousbeck, Samuel A. Young. Company I-Captains Thomas J. Taylor, Edward F. Horton, Cornelius A. Stanton; Lieutenants Thomas H. McDannal, Horace D. B. Cutler, Edward F. Horton, Cornelius A. Stanton, Francis W. Arnim. Company K-Captains Jacob F. Miller, Martin Cherrie, Newton C. Honnold; Lieutenants Martin Cherrie, Samuel L. Ward, A. H. Griswold, Newton C. Honnold, George W. Stamm, Joseph Miller. Company L-Captains Gilman c. Mudgett, John D. Brown; Lieutenants Ezra Fitch, Dudley E. Jones, Micajah Baker, John D. Brown, James C. Williams, Edward Mudgett. Company M-Captains John W. Warner, Benjamin S. Jones, George W. Johnson, Lieutenants Benjamin S. Jones, George W. Johnson, Harvey H. Walker, John C. Gammill, William A. Wright. The men of this regiment came front the counties of Lee, Van Buren, Davis, Jefferson, Marion, Appanoose, Wapello, and Wayne, but the four first named sent to the field the greater number of the command


eastern Missouri, and performed valuable service in that section before his regiment was fully prepared to take the field. And indeed it left the State for Benton Barracks the 4th of November, without arms, having only such equipments as had been procured by the personal exertions of the commanding officer.

Upon his arrival at the barracks, Colonel Bussey gave his entire attention to the drill and discipline of his regiment, and it soon won the encomiums of Brigadier-General William T. Sherman, who was at this time in charge of the camps of instruction near St. Louis, having sufficient capacity, in the opinion of Halleck, to perform duties of that sort. In which opinion, I suppose, General Simon Cameron, of the militia, fully concurred. By the 1st of December the regiment was armed with revolvers and sabers, it being at this time impossible to procure carbines. The 12th, Colonel Bussey was ordered to send one battalion of his regiment to Jefferson City, and on the same day, Major Caldwell, commanding Second Battalion, was on his way thither. Inasmuch as this battalion was not again united with the regiment for nearly two years, I may here briefly relate its operations during the period of the separation:

The battalion, composed of Company E, Captain Duffield, Company F. Captain Robinson, (who resigned in March, 1862, and was succeeded by Captain Crail), Company G. Captain Mayne, and Company H. Captain Hughes, proceeded from Jefferson City to Boonville, and there, at Glasgow, and in the country roundabout was successfully engaged for some time in hunting up ammunition secreted at various places for the purpose of being used by those who should rise against the government. Large quantities of powder were captured. Christmas day found the battalion stationed at Fulton, where it went into Winter quarters. But it was not a winter of rest. The battalion performed much and valuable service, scouting, capturing rebel munitions of war, dispersing bands of guerrillas, preventing discontented citizens from gathering head against the constituted authorities. In the spring of 1862, a considerable portion of Missouri north and east of Jefferson City was formed into a military subdistrict, Major Caldwell commanding, and his battalion was constantly engaged in those arduous services required from troops posted amongst a turbulent and traitorous populace. It continued on duty here several months, and was engaged oftentimes in skirmishes with predatory bands of considerable strength, but it was not a theater on which great battles were ever fought. Fierce combats took place, which to those engaged had indeed all the effects of sanguinary battle, and called forth as much gallantry from the combatants as an equal number of men could have exhibited on a field where casualties were to be counted by thousands.

Thus, the battalion attacked and destroyed a rebel camp on Salt River, the last of May, routing the enemy and capturing much property; July 22d, a detachment of only sixty men fought the rebel Porter, with three hundred followers, for more than an hour, and was barely beaten in the encounter losing twenty-two men wounded, and two captured; two days afterwards) one hundred men of the battalion attacked Porter, now having four hundred, and defeated him; three days after this, fifty men of our command and one hundred Missouri militia again drove the same rebel force in a sharp skirmish; on the day following, a spirited engagement took place, in which the enemy was handsomely Shipped, losing thirty killed and about one hundred wounded, and leaving many valuable spoils of victory in the hands of the Unionists. The defeated rebels fled northward, but being augmented by numbers of sympathizing friends till there were about two thousand in their ranks, gave battle at Kirksville on the 6th of August, and were thoroughly beaten, losing one hundred and twenty-eight killed, about two hundred wounded, and many prisoners, besides numbers of arms and horses. This engagement, which was considerable of an affair, closed the fighting history of Major Caldwell's command north of the Missouri. In this combat, Captain Wayne was killed, Captain Hughes, Lieutenant Birch, and ten men of the battalion were wounded. 2

The rebels in this part of Missouri being utterly dispersed, soon after the affair of Kirksville, Major Caldwell reported with his command at Lebanon, a considerable town about fifty miles southwest of Rolla. He was soon afterwards appointed Lieutenant-Colonel, in place of Trimble, who, having been severely wounded at the battle of Pea Ridge, resigned early in September, 1862. The duties of Lieutenant-Colonel Caldwell's command in southern Missouri were similar to those which had been done north of the river. By the campaign of Pea Ridge, Missouri had been cleared of rebels in force. Subsequently, General Curtis having marched with the Army of the Southwest through Arkansas to Helena by Batesville, southwestern Missouri became again uncovered and liable to incursions from the insurgents moving through the passes of the Boston Mountains. Wherefore General Schofield, with headquarters at Springfield, eventually organized the Army of the Frontier, which covered the State against the threatened attack, and in December, by the battle of Prairie Grove, warded off the principal danger.

Nevertheless, Missouri was perturbed, and restless as the waters of a boiling cauldron. Her Union citizens were harassed, galled, murdered by


2 Major Caldwell reports his casualties luring these operations, as six killed, sixty-six wounded, and two captured, making a total of seventy-four. Besides those stated in the text, I find only these in the Adjutant-General's reports: unfilled, James M. Cross, Robert M. Parker. John A. McGuire. Wounded, John J. Morgan, (mortally); B. F. Holland, (mortally); Charles W. Gleason.


bands of roving guerrillas, and frequently considerable bodies of troops made forays into the State. It may readily be believed, therefore, that it was a difficult as well as dangerous task to protect our long lines of communications to the frontier army. This service involved also the keeping down of outbreaks and the covering of a frontier from the Iron Mountains of Missouri to the Boston Mountains of Arkansas. In this important tine of duty, Lieutenant-Colonel Caldwell was engaged for several months, his command, augmented by Companies L and 31 which did not join in Curtis' march through Arkansas, being constantly engaged in fatiguing service, and oftentimes meeting the enemy in skirmish or in battle. A detachment of his command was engaged at the sharp battle of Hartsville in January, 1863, and in a number of affairs of lesser note his troops acquitted themselves with great credit. The detachment was engaged in these services of importance, but of no such general interest as to meet with much public notice till the summer of 1863, when it joined the cavalry division under General Davidson in the campaign of Little Rock. Gloving by Pilot Knob, the detachment marched into Arkansas near the southeastern corner of Missouri, and thence moving southward, joined the column under Steele near the White River, and took prominent part thenceforth in the operations which resulted in the capture of Little Rock. Afterwards, the command was actively engaged in movements in the direction of Camden, and performed services both valuable and brilliant.

Colonel Bussey remained at Benton Barracks with the first and third battalions till the 4th of February, 1869, when he moved to Rolla. The long stay near St. Louis was occupied by "the everlasting drill." Lieutenant Colonel Bussey arrived at Rolla, he found there few troops, and the commanding officer desirous of retaining his command. But getting General Curtis' order to 'come on," he sent Major Drake, with two companies, to Salem, and pushed forward himself, with the remaining six companies, to overtake Curtis, v. ho v as at this time energetically pursuing Price.

Colonel Bussey left Rolla, in light marching order, on the morning of the 14th. The weather was bitter cold, and the roads were horrible. But the troopers pushed on, kept pushing on, leaving their train behind them. They stopped at dark to prepare a frugal meal, and after they had partaken of it obeyed with alacrity the bugle call "to horse," and marched on till three o'clock of the following morning, when they took a short repose. The marsh was kept up with astonishing rapidity. At Springfield, Colonel Bussey left a company, and moved on toward the front. The heavy rumbling of artillery quickened the ardor of the troopers, and revived the spirits of their steeds, smelling the battle far off. On the evening of the fourth day from Rolla the command reached General Curtis' army on Sugar Creek, more than two hundred miles from the place of starting, and, incredible as it may seem, without the loss of a single horse.

Having halted at Sugar Creek a few days the army moved to Osage Springs and Cross Hollows, Colonel Bussey going into camp not far distant from headquarters of the commanding general. But his command had but little rest from this time forth until after the victory of Pea Ridge. It was engaged in reconnaissances, moving to Fayetteville no less than three times within a week after the establishment of headquarters at Cross Hollows, and all the time actively engaged in scouring the country until the battle of Pea Ridge. It will be remembered that, upon learning of the approach of the rebels in heavy force, General Curtis fell back some distance, to Sugar Creek, for the purpose of concentrating his army where he could give battle in an advantageous position. It was one William Miller, a private soldier of the Third Iowa Cavalry, who, as a spy, discovered the rebel approach in overwhelming numbers and at the risk of his life informed the commanding general thereof in time for him to make his dispositions so as to successfully repel the attack.

I have heretofore described the battle of Pea Ridge. The Third Cavalry bore conspicuous part in the engagement, fighting on the centre under Osterhaus. This officer sent the cavalry too far forward, the consequence of which was a desperate combat on this part of the field, in which the Iowa Third fought splendidly. It was here that Lieutenant-Colonel Trimble was wounded, and about forty of the regiment put hors-du-combat in less time than it takes to write these lines. The command of the regiment now devolved on Major Perry, who led the regiment during the remainder of the battle with noteworthy success. The losses of the Third Cavalry in the battle were forty-nine, of whom twenty-two were slain outright, eighteen wounded and nine captured. "Hearing it reported," says Colonel Bussey, "that several of the killed had been scalped, I had the dead exhumed, and on personal examination of the bodies, I found it was a fact beyond dispute that eight of the killed of my command had been scalped, and the bodies of many of them showed unmistakable evidence that the men had been murdered after they had been wounded&emdash;that first having fallen in the charge from bullet wounds, they were afterwards pierced through the heart and neck with knives by a savage, relentless foe."3


3 The list of casualties of the Third Cavalry at the battle of Pea Ridge is as follows:

Field and Staff&emdash;Wounded, Lieutenant-Colonel H. H. Trimble, Battalion Sergeant-Major George A. Johnson; Chief Bugler James W. Cobb.

Company A&emdash;Killed, Sergeant Washington O. Crawford; Corporal William J. Elrod; Privates James Dodd, Carroll Foster, Elisha Ham, James S. Letner, Madison Townsend. Wounded, Sergeant Amos Chambers; Corporal Cyrus Cunningham; Privates Elijah Ward. Matthias Werts, Milton Townsend. Missing, Orderly Sergeant Daniel Bradbury; Private Andrew C. Marvin. Company B&emdash;Killed, Sergeant George N. Anderson; Private David Carrol, William Cowles, Casper Freich. Company C-Killed, Sergeant R. H. Millard; Private Peter J. Stevens. Wounded, Le Roy Seaton. Company D&emdash;


Colonel Bussey pursued the enemy with vigor, first in the direction of Keitsville, and then to Bentonville, and beyond. It is well known that General Sigel also pursued the enemy in the direction of Springfield Finding the way open to that post&emdash;for the rebels had turned by secret passes and were seeking their way toward the Arkansas river&emdash;Sigel sought to exhibit a specimen of his fine penchant for the retreat, and sent word to Curtis to "come on, the way being open." He was peremptorily ordered back to duty against the rebels fleeing the other way. But Bussey, sending the General's dispatches from Keitsville, at once turned in pursuit, and continued it, taking many prisoners and much property, till his command was fairly exhausted. Then he returned to the field of battle, and discovered the horrible facts, touching the savage barbarity of the enemy, which have been set forth in his own words.

Two Companies of the regiment proceeded to Rolla in charge of prisoners, and on their return were halted at Springfield, of which post Major Perry took command, and afterwards marched to Lebanon, continuing in command there for several months, his troopers all the while actively engaged in guarding trains or fighting guerrillas with great success, and himself performing the duties of his position to the entire satisfaction of his superior officers. I may here state that Major Perry resigned his commission in the autumn of 1862, on account of ill health, the regiment and the service thereby losing an officer of marked intelligence and efficiency.

It will be recollected that before leaving Rolla to join General Curtis at the front, Colonel Bussey sent Major Drake with two companies to Salem. It will now be proper to take up the thread of this detachment's history. Major Drake reached Salem on the evening of February 12th, when his command was placed on duty as the permanent garrison of the place. But on the day before, Adjutant Cutler, with a detachment of twenty-five men, marched by a detour to the head-waters of the Macomec, and surprised a rebel camp, taking nearly as many prisoners as he had troopers under his command. Not long after reaching Salem, Major Drake marched against a rebel force encamped at West Plains, and effecting a complete surprise, killed fifteen, wounded nearly twice as many, and captured sixty of the enemy. Countermarching to Salem, Major Drake delivered over his prisoners and property captured, and at once set out on an expedition below the Arkansas lisle, where Coleman, McBride and Fairchild were recruiting and concentrating rebel troops. They retreated upon Drake's approach, and attempted to secrete themselves in a swamp near Salem, Arkansas


Killed, Sergeant John W. Montgomery; Corporal John Campbell; Privates John W. Clark, Thomas P. Gray, James F. Mercer, Spence Miner, John Sellers, Ephraim Vorhies, Henry Brown. Wounded, F. M. Bush, S. A. Dysart, W. E. Cox. Missing, Charles J. Butin, John H. Lawson. James I. Mason, John L. Wolf. Company M&emdash; Killed, Private A. T. Mansfield. Wounded, John W. Howard, Williams Cairn, J. Miller, R. M. Nixon, B. Brown, G. S. Bowman. Missing, H. H. Ross, H. A. Cowles, B. Scott


But Drake, dismounting his men, pursued the enemy to their dismal fast. messes, and giving battle, gained a complete victory after several hours' hard fighting A battalion of the Sixth Missouri Cavalry and two mounted howitzers took honorable part in this affair. The loss from the Third Cavalry was six men. It was while on this expedition that Adjutant Cutler performed the brilliant exploit of running down, and slaying or wounding seven rebels, who were scouting. Major Drake remained with his command at Salem, scouting the country roundabout for many miles, and defeating the enemy in several skirmishes.

After Colonel Bussey's command had taken some rest from the labors of Pea Ridge and the pursuit of the enemy, the Third Cavalry was actively engaged on reconnoitering and foraging expeditions, and marched to Fayetteville; to the Indian country west of Arkansas; to Huntsville. It joined in the march which turned out to be the gloomy expedition through Arkansas to Helena. Whilst the column was moving eastward through southern Missouri, Major Drake with his detachment rejoined the regiment. Colonel Bussey being most of the time in a superior command, the Major had charge of the regiment, and on various occasions during the march through Arkansas, and while the army was halted near Batesville, was engaged with the enemy in severe skirmishes. In the latter part of May he commanded an expedition to Sylamore, fifty miles up the river, where a rebel force was being organized. Attacking the enemy, the Third Iowa killed and wounded a number, captured twenty-five prisoners, twice as many horses, and other property. Captain Anderson of Company C, and private Joseph French, were severely wounded, and Sergeant S. B. Miner, of the non-commissioned staff, was slain. Captain Cook about this time went to Rolla and guarded a train thence safely to Batesville with his company. About a month afterwards, Lieutenant A. H. Griswold, in charge of a foraging party, was attacked. He gallantly drove off the rebels, and saved the train, but lost his own life in the action, seven balls having entered his body. Corporal Wasson and private Leike were also killed, and five others wounded in this affair. On the hungry, dusty march to Helena by Clarendon, the Third Cavalry performed much hard work removing obstructions from the roads, and had several skirmishes, all successful, with the enemy, but met with no mentionable loss, except that of Matthew D. Williams, killed July 7th.

The regimental encampment remained at Helena for many months, but the regiment was frequently engaged in expeditions of less or more importance into the interior. Early in November, Major Drake returned to his home in Wayne county, and there died on the 24th. By his death the service lost an accomplished officer, and the State a prominent and useful citizen. Lieutenant John W. Noble, adjutant, was promoted to the vacancy Captain George Duffield had before been promoted to the majority made vacant by the promotion of Major Caldwell, and captain O. H. P. Scott to that caused by the resignation of Major Perry.

During the long stay of headquarters at Helena, the two most important expeditions in which the regiment took part, in 1862, were the unsuccessful attempt on Arkansas Post by General A. P. Hovey, and the march to Grenada under General Washburne. In the former of these Colonel Bussey had command of the cavalry, two thousand picked troopers. The troops embarked on transports and arrived at the mouth of White River, November 22d. On account of the low stage of the water, Colonel Bussey disembarked his command at Montgomery Point and proceeded to march by land, or rather by swamp, to Prairie Landing, with instructions there to await further orders. The river was too low for even the smaller vessels to move toward Arkansas Post. But Colonel Bussey proceeded to carry out his part of the plan. He found the roads almost impassable. They were simply horrible. But he waded through, and having spent a most miserable night in a deluge of rain which made the swamp a boundless waste of water with no square inch of dry land in sight, he countermarched to Montgomery Point, and found the fleet still there, with nothing accomplished. The expedition returned to Helena. In the expedition to Grenada, Mississippi, the cavalry destroyed the railroad near that place, and caused the rebels in front of Grant on the Tallahatchee to fall back before his legions. An engagement took place near Grenada, in which the rebels were worsted. The Third Iowa took part in the affair and lost four men captured. The expedition, like that under Hovey, returned to Helena, but it had accomplished something, and brought back much property captured from the enemy, and many negroes.

The army was now again reorganized, General Washburne being assigned to the command of the Second Cavalry Division, Army of the Tennessee, Colonel Bussey to the command of the Second Brigade of that division, in which brigade was his own regiment. His command was kept on active duty, scouting, but did not meet the enemy in force. Small parties were dispersed and the country about Helena kept quiet. For a considerable part of the month of January, 1863, Colonel Bussey was in command of the District of Helena. Under the administration of General Gorman, the post had become a center of illicit trade and a general headquarters of speculators, successfully engaged in fleecing the government. Colonel Bussey's administration was short, but it was wise, pure, and energetic. It was a public calamity that General Gorman so soon returned, and out-ranking Bussey, again assumed command, on which account the stealings began to go on as usual.

Colonel Bussey now resumed command of the brigade to which he had been assigned in December, Major Scott being in command of the Third Cavalry, Major Noble commanding a battalion. These officers made frequent expeditions into the enemy's country&emdash;to Clarendon, St. Charles, and along the St. Francis river&emdash;on several occasions met the rebels in some force and always defeated them. In April, a detachment of the regiment moved by steamer up the St. Francis River nearly to the Missouri line, with the object of capturing a rebel steamer said to be in the vicinity of Witsburg, or Willsburg. On the return of the expedition there was a considerable skirmish at Madison, in which the rebels were defeated with loss in wounded and prisoners. In this affair, Lieutenant Niblack was distinguished for gallantry, and severely wounded. On the 21st, Major Noble, commanding regiment, attacked a part of Dobyn's command near the St. Francis, and gained a quick, decisive victory. Within a week he met the enemy again, near Big Creek, and defeated him.

There were other affairs in which small detachments of the regiment were engaged. Thus on the 1st of May, Captain J. Q. A. De Huff, with one hundred and sixty men marched to La Grange, where he attacked three hundred rebels, and had them about whipped, with heavy loss, when he was himself attacked in rear by full as large a force as that in his front. The Captain and his command fought stoutly against the now overwhelming numbers, but were defeated with a loss of more than a fourth of the command, killed, wounded, and captured. Adjutant Glenn Lowe and Lieutenant Cornelius A. Stanton were wounded. They and Lieutenant Niblack were specially mentioned for brave and efficient conduct on the field. Another affair in which a detachment of the regiment took part occurred near Helena, the 25th of May. Lieutenant Samuel J. McKee, commanding a detachment of fifty men Tom Companies A and B. joined Major Walker, commanding Fifth Kansas, and, marching out the Little Rock road, met the enemy in superior force about six miles from Helena. A combat ensued in which the detachment fought conspicuously. "Lieutenant McKee of the Third Iowa Cavalry," says Major Walker, "and the men under his command, acted with distinguished gallantry during the whole engagement." The detachment lost five men wounded and two missing.4

Nor should it be forgotten that, during the period now under review, the


4 The killed and wounded at La Grange were:&emdash;Killed, Sergeants Arthur K. Ewing, James H. W. Rigg; Private John Macy. Wounded, Adjutant Glenn Lowe, Lieutenant C. A. Stanton; Corporal Jasper Bromley; Privates Ambrose H. Hill, Nathan Cash, John W. Shook, John H. Lawson, John Davis, William De Lay. The missing soon after the battle were in part recaptured from the enemy, by a fine exploit on the part of Sergeant Breeding, of Company A, and Corporal Birdsall of Company B.

The wounded in the skirmish near Helena were:&emdash;Corporal Asa E. Coleman: Privates Louis Hesse, James M. Legg, Alfred W. Mederas, James Matthews, Missing, Samuel Parsons, Thomas Walker.


Third Iowa Cavalry performed valuable labors in the immediate vicinity of Helena, in the way of fortifying the post, and making it difficult for the enemy to approach from the interior. There is no doubt that there labors under the direction of Major Scott, were of incalculable service to our arms when the post was attacked by overwhelming numbers on the 4th of July.

But, after all, campaigning in Arkansas, though ever so well performed at this time attracted little of the public attention which was centered on the campaign of Vicksburg, and which was, in sober truth, one of the finest campaigns of which there is any record in military annals. Colonel Bussey after repeated endeavors, was at length ordered to join the army under Grant. His regiment arrived at Haine's Bluffs early in June, and was at once assigned to duty under General Sherman, in command of the Army of Observation along the line of the Big Black River. Colonel Bussey was made Chief of Cavalry. From this time until the capitulation of Pemberton the cavalry under Bussey were exceedingly active. They traversed all the roads and by-ways in rear of Vicksburg for a distance of thirty miles at all points between the railway and the Yazoo, exploring every forest, field, and swamp, till the whole region became known to the command like one's own door-yard.

In the campaign of Jackson it performed even more active services&emdash; forming the advance of the army as it moved against Johnston, skirmishing daily with the enemy till he put himself behind the works of the capital. This event but added to the labors and services of Colonel Bussey's command, in which were his own regiment and the Fourth Cavalry from Iowa, besides other troopers. Whilst Sherman invested Jackson these troopers were engaged to the northward, heavily skirmishing with the enemy at times, destroying railways, and depots, and confederate property of all kinds in immense quantities and in every way aiding the principal operation and adding to the great value and renown of the final triumph, which was the recovery of a vast State from the hands of the insurgents. For the manifold splendid services of Colonel Bussey and his command during this campaign, General Sherman gave his unqualified praise.

At the close of the campaign the command went into encampment on t e Big Black, not far from where General Sherman established his headquarters. Here Major O. H. P. Scott, who had commanded the Third Iowa most of the time for the past three months, gave up his commission by resignation, and the command devolved upon Major Noble

The 12th of August, Colonel Winslow, Fourth Iowa, started on an expedition northward, the Third joining the column. Moving by Yazoo City and Grenada the command traversed the State of Mississippi, and reached Memphis on the 22d, having met the enemy several times and defeated him, destroyed vast quantities of stores, and, generally, made a most useful and brilliant raid, in all respects superior to some which had brought deserved promotion to the commanders who made them. On this expedition the Third Iowa lost a few men wounded

The regiment at once embarked, to return to Vicksburg, but on reaching a was ordered by General Grant to report to General Steele, now engaged in his campaign against Little Rock. In the column under Steele was, as we have seen, Lieutenant-Colonel Caldwell, with the detachment of six companies whose history has been already set forth. Major Noble marched to Little Rock where the Third Cavalry was re-united after separation of nearly two years. The Major was appointed Chief of Cavalry on General Davidson's staff, and Lieutenant-Colonel Caldwell took command of the regiment. Colonel Bussey arrived at Little Rock about the 1st of November, and assumed command of the Cavalry Division in the temporary absence of General Davidson, but before the month closed the latter returned, and Bussey took command of the First Brigade, at Benton, an outpost, twenty-five miles southwest of Little Rock. His troops were engaged, Scouting, skirmishing, foraging, till the 20th of December, when the post was evacuated. The command went into camp at Little Rock. The 1st of January, 1864, more than six hundred me on of the Third Cavalry, being nearly all present able to perform duty, reenlisted as Veteran Volunteers&emdash;the first in the division to do this patriotic deed. On the 6th, the regiment was relieved from duty for furlough of thirty days in Iowa. In relieving the regiment General Davidson issued a very complimentary order upon the subject, which may be regarded as all the more valuable seeing that he was a man of a most ungenerous nature. He expressed his high appreciation of their fidelity and zeal and assured them that they could not be more heartily welcomed home than they would be on their return to the army as veterans. About this time Colonel Bussey was promoted a brigadier-general, but whilst the veterans were at home enjoying the plaudits of a grateful people, he occupied himself in procuring new arms and equipments for the men, and in superintending the recruiting of his regiment, in all which labors he was successful, so that when he turned over the regiment to its new commander it was finely mounted, armed, and equipped, and over fourteen hundred strong. H. C. Caldwell was now Colonel, John W. Noble, Lieutenant-Colonel Captains Gilman C. Mudgett and A. H. McCrary had been commissioned Majors. Colonel Caldwell resigned his commission in June, to accept the position of Judge of the United States District Court for the District of Arkansas, to which he had been appointed by the President. Lieutenant-Colonel Noble was promoted to Colonel, and Major George Duffield to Lieutenant-colonel.

But much of this is anticipation. Having taken full advantage of their furloughs, the Veterans returned to St.. Louis, and the 1st of Maya strengthened by recruits as we have seen, embarked for Memphis, under orders to report to General Washburne.

The first campaign in which the regiment took part after its arrival at Memphis was the disastrous expedition under General Sturgis, called "the Guntown Expedition." It is saying a great deal, and may be putting it coarsely, but General S. D. Sturgis was the stupidest general officer in all the armies of the Ignited States. He does not appear, either, to have been animated by any spirit of earnest patriotism, to redeem his character from universal reproach, or to cover as with a veil of charity his military record of unmixed imbecility. His curls were admirable, the ringlets falling gracefully down his head, so that even the golden-haired Menelaus or ambrosial Jove himself, storming through the clouds, might have coveted the possession. It was, perhaps, the general's devotion to this magnificent head of hair which prevented him from paying any attention to military duties At any rate, from this cause or some other, he was forever committing the grossest blunders; and he capped the climax of them all by his conduct of the expedition now to be mentioned, and merely mentioned, for I do not purpose to give a detailed account of it.

It was a series of blunders, and blunders which, all and singular, were directly chargeable to the folly of Sturgis, who nowhere exhibited skill which could not have been surpassed by any corporal in his column. The troops of their own motion fought well enough, even gallantly on certain occasions, when not so posted or disposed by the commanding general as to be as little capable of fighting as flocks of sheep. They had before fought as well, at any rate many of them, as any troops ever fought, and they so ought in the succeeding month under another commander. But here every thing went wrong. Trains were needlessly lost, guns were abandoned. The whole campaign was a most shameful disaster, and as needless as it was shameful. The Third Iowa Cavalry lost during this expedition sixty-seven officers and men.


5 namely: Company B&emdash;Killed, Private George W. Rhodes. Company C-Corporal William Gilchrist. Company F&emdash;Corporal William H. Henderson, Company I&emdash;Private William B. Adamson. Company K-Private Wilson Angel.

Wounded and in the hands of the enemy. Company D&emdash;Second Lieutenant Thomas J. Miller (mortally). Company F Corporal George F. Campbell, Company G&emdash;Sergeant Franklin Miller; Corporal David Miller. Company I-Private J. Cronin.

Captured by the enemy, supposed to be unhurt. Company I-Second Lieutenant Ruben Delay. Company C-Privates, Francisco Stump, Ephraim Copp, Albert Phillips. Company D-Privates Henry S. Benning, Daniel Smith. Company E-Commissary-Sergeant William Dupee; Privates James Foster, Berry Noaker. Company F-Private John Faulkner. Company I-Sergeant Charles K. Holbrook; Privates John Frush, John Holbrook, Eugene Sprague, Benjamin Tulk, Daniel Himes, Jacob Graff, Wesley S. Scott, Joseph Fletcher, Isaac Calvert, John Davis. Company K-Sergeant Charles W. Sherman; Corporals Oliver Bruse, James Swift, Joseph Ramsey; Privates Henry


Retreating by La Fayette, Colliersville, and Germantown, our regiment reached Memphis with the main column, and went into camp. On the 24th of June, that is about a fortnight after the close of the Sturgis disaster, it again left camp for another campaign in Mississippi, under command of General A. J. Smith. This was the campaign of Tupelo, and wins successful. Our regiment halted a short time at Moscow, and also at Salisbury, whence it began the march southward. The column approached Ripley on the 7th of July. From this time until the battle of Tupelo there was daily skirmishing with the enemy, in which the Third Iowa had its full share. Throughout the campaign, it was distinguished for the dashing bravery With which it went into fight and the skill with which it was handled. During the battle of Tupelo the regiment, with others, was in guard of the right flank of the line of battle, and removed from the scene of immediate conflict, but on the next day, near Old Town or Tishomingo Creek, it had a severe combat, charging the enemy in fine style. "I feel at liberty," says Colonel Noble, "without boasting, to say that few charges during the war have excelled this in firmness, spirit, and brilliancy." It was made by the Third and Fourth Cavalry, supported by infantry under Colonel McMillan. Major Duffield, Captain Crail, and Captain Brown commanding battalions, and Captains McCrary and Johnson, were specially mentioned by Colonel Noble for meritorious services at all times during the expedition. The enemy again attempted to harass the column near Ellistown, but was quickly and finally driven off. Our regiment, moving by La Grange, reached Memphis on the evening of the 23d, having lost nineteen men during the campaign.6 ^

The regiment remained at Memphis and in the vicinity, without engaging in any operations of which official reports have been published, until early in September. On the 2d of this month, Major Benjamin S. Jones with the available mounted force of the regiment&emdash;about five hundred, officers, and men&emdash;marched for Brownsville, Arkansas, where he joined the army under General Joseph Mower, and after some delay moved after the rebel


McNulty, Samuel Eddy, Michael Gallager, Moses O'Connor, Isaac O'Connor, Ezra S. Oden, William Patrick, Nehemiah Solon. company K&emdash;Sergeant Marcus A. Packard; Corporals William Pack, William A. Kelley; Privates Thomas Borman, James D. Mason, Jacob H. McVay, Thomas S. Donnel, Elias Hoover, William Austin, James W. Walm. Company L-Edward White.

Wounded and brought into camp. Company C-Sergeant A. A. Brown; Private William Lowry. Company E-Bugler William F. Swift. Company F&emdash;Privates Silas Pierson, Erastus Franklin. Company G-Private David Bailey. Company H&emdash;Corporal Bazel Gurwell; Private Joseph Meyers. Company I&emdash;Privates Harvey Manning, Stephen Shuck. Company C&emdash;First Sergeant George W. Stamm. Company K&emdash;Sergeant James H. Harvey. Company L-Ezekiel I. Sankey.

6 Killed, Private Thomas Brown. Wounded, Quartermaster Sergeant J. W. Delay, Sergeant I. B Reno; Corporal William Martin; Private William Fields, Morris J. James, David Meliza, John Miller, Cyrus O. Hawkins, H. Van Sickle, Solomon Hart, P. E. Biddle, D. H. Stevens, Lucas M. Baldwin, Dimick E. Casper, H. Shackleford, B. F. Bard, William J. Sullivan. Missing William H. Matkins.


Price whose campaign for the invasion of Missouri was fully begun. The regiment, with the Fourth Iowa, and Tenth Missouri (cavalry, formed the brigade commanded by (colonel Winslow. Leaving Brownsville on the 18th, the command marched by Austin, Searcy, and Poplar Bluffs, passing many streams and crossing large swamps on the way, to Cape Girardeau, Missouri, arriving October 5th. Thence moved by steamer to St. Louis, where the regiment was refitted for the field, and whence in a few days it commenced a march up the valley of the Missouri.

Having marched rapidly, the command joined the forces of the Department of the Missouri commanded by Major-General Pleasanton, near Independence on the 22d. The gallant troopers had swept across a great State in about ten days. When Winslow's brigade came up there was an engagement going on, and the command was at once ordered to the front and into the battle. Trotting forward to the scene of conflict the troopers dismounted, deployed into line, and fought from five o'clock in the afternoon till nearly ten at night, driving (parkas rebel brigade five miles toward Kansas. In this engagement Lieutenant James H. Watts, acting adjutant, fell mortally wounded, one man was slain, two were mortally and one was seriously wounded.

Day had not fully dawned on the morning of the 23d, when the troops were again in motion. The enemy was driven to and across the Big Blue River, behind which he took up a strong position. The Missouri State Troops unsuccessfully assailed the enemy's lines, and were falling back in some confusion, when Colonel Winslow formed his brigade for a charge, and moving forward drove the rebels in great disorder from their position, causing them a loss of large numbers killed and wounded, several stands of colors and other rich spoils of war. The enemy was pursued several miles, fighting all the while going on. In this engagement Colonel Winslow, the hero of the battle, was severely wounded, but continued in command for some time afterwards, when, success being well assured, he relinquished his authority to Lieutenant-Colonel F. W. Benteen, the gallant commander of the Tenth Missouri, who successfully led the brigade through the remainder of the campaign. The Third Iowa lost thirteen men wounded, one mortally, in this engagement, called the battle of the Big Blue

The troops encamped for the night on the State line. Early on the morrow, having now joined the "Army of the Border" under Major-General Curtis, the troopers of Winslow's Brigade were in the saddle, rapidly riding down the line separating Missouri from Kansas. They rode over a vast beautiful prairie, stopping only a few moments to feed, then pressing on&emdash; riding rapidly all day long, and nearly all of the following night. It was a grand sight, the Army of the Border thus swiftly moving in pursuit of Price. He made a stand on the Osage, but was quickly driven from his position, on the morning of the 25th, and followed up by Winslow's Brigade for several miles across the open prairie. Pressed hard, he at length turned at bay, presenting a strong line of battle, well covered by artillery. It was a fine field for the maneuvers of cavalry, and the dashing charge of Winslow's Brigade, "thundering over the Prairie," put the rebels in complete rout. Generals, guns, colors were captured by our victorious troopers, who pursued the flying, demoralized remnants of Price' s army to Of, Scott, Kansas, where they tool one day's rest. Our regiment then joined in the pursuit, and having marched through a portion of Missouri, Arkansas, and the Indian Territory to a point on the Arkansas River nearly fifty miles above Fort Smith, there brought an end to the chase, Price's army having by this time been put entirely hors-de-combat.

The troopers of Winslow' s Brigade, which had borne a conspicuous part throughout this remarkable campaign, now returned to St. Louis, suffering DO little hardship from cold and want of sufficient food, during the first part of the countermarch. The brigade received the following complimentary order from General Pleasonton:


"General Orders No. 11.


"WARRENSBURG, MISSOURI, November 3d, 1864.


"Winslow's Brigade of cavalry, now commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel Benteen, being about to express his regrets in separating from such glorious troops, but also to recall more especially than was done in General Orders No. 6 from these headquarters, the splendid manner in which the brigade fought at the Osage, capturing five pieces of artillery from the enemy, with a large number of prisoners and carrying, by a daring charge, the most important and conspicuous position on that brilliant field.

"No troops could win a prouder record for themselves than they have done, and the best wishes of their comrades in the late campaign will accompany them wherever their services are required.

"By command of Major-General Pleasanton.

"Clifford Thompson,

"First Lieutenant and Assistant Adjutant-General."


The Third Iowa Cavalry, from the time it left Memphis till it reached St. Louis on its return from the Indian Territory, had marched nearly seventeen hundred miles; had conspicuously participated in three general engagements; had captured a stand of colors at the Big Blue, and three pieces of artillery at the Osage; Private James Dunlavy, of Company D, had captured the rebel General Marmaduke, and Sergeant Calvary M. Young, General Cabell on the same glorious field. "The whole of my command," says Major Jones', "did nobly on the field of Osage as on the others, and the highest commendations are due to every man and officer." The losses of the regiment during the campaign were a little less than fifty, of whom six were slain, five received fatal wounds, and the rest more or less severely wounded.'


7 Reported as follows:

Near Independence, Missouri, October 22nd, 1863-Company E-Killed, John N. Phelps. Company


Meanwhile, that portion of the regiment left at Memphis was refitted for the field, and not long after Major Jones returned to St. Louis, Colonel Noble marched from Memphis in a column under the gallant General Grierson, and made a brilliant and most useful raid through Mississippi to Vicksburg. The column moved to the Mobile and Ohio railroad, on which at Shannon, Okolona, and Egypt, large quantities of rebel property were destroyed, the rebels themselves being defeated and captured in large numbers at the last named place. Moving westward, the Memphis and New Orleans Railroad was destroyed at Winona, and well broken up from Duckport to Grenada by Colonel Noble. It would require a page to enumerate the property his command destroyed. It included locomotives cars, depots, machine shops, vast quantities of stores. Moving from Grenada by Carrollton, Lexington, and Mechanicsville, Colonel Noble reached Vicksburg on the 5th of January, 1865. Throughout this raid, accompanied by skirmishing, hard labor, night marches, Colonel Noble's


G-Wounded, Lieutenant James H. Watts, since died. Company F-Sergeant Lewis G. Balding since died; Warren Armstrong. Company K-Henry C. Vaughn, since died.

Big Blue, October 23rd-Company A-Wounded, John Shook, Joseph Ogle, Thomas Walker, Company B-Sergeant Samuel Barr, since died; James Pearson, Hamilton McCoy, Robert McDonald, Company C-Sergeant Thomas H. Brenton. Company F-George R. Fry. Company I-W. H. DeLong. Company K-Hezakiah C. Bradley. Company L-Captain J. D. Brown. Company M-Joseph Lawson.

BATTLE OF THE OSAGE, October, 25th-Company B-Wounded, Corporals James House, Nathaniel Bailey; Thomas Weeks, Robert McDonald, Miles King, Hamilton McCoy, Joseph Poole. Company C-Corporal Lisbon Cox; Pennel Garnet, James Jeffries, Fleming Dungan, J. M. D. McNoland. Company D-Killed, R. A. Buzzard, John Cristy. Wounded, Jacob Koone, William D. Reader, James Dunlavy, Edward Ball. Company E-Killed, Francis A. Allender. Wounded Sergeant William H. Neideigh. Company F-W. H. H. Harman. Company H-John Balback. Company K-Corporal Pat Steely, Elias Hoover. Company L-Corporal James W. Honnald. Company M-Killed, john Ashback, John G. Walker. Wounded, M. J. Dale, Isaac W. McCarty, since died.

As connected with another statement in the last paragraph of the text, I quote the following from the daily "Gate City" of Keokuk:

"We are glad to receive a call, yesterday evening from young James Dunlavy, of Company D, Third Iowa Cavalry, already well known as the captor of Marmaduke. A so of Harvey Dunlavy of Davis County, he goes home o a short visit, under orders to report to his regiment on the first of February. Young, intelligent, active; a representative Iowa boy; he is a fine sample of the material out of which brave soldiers and good officers are made.

"He is directly from Fort Scott. Brings with him various presents-public testimonials commendatory of his brave achievement-the capture of a rebel Major-General. The most elegant of these is a brace of Colt's revolvers, ivory handled and silver plated, and retailing for one hundred and ninety-five dollars, given him by the citizens of Fort Scott. They are enclosed in an elegant rosewood case, upon the silver plate of which is inscribed: "Fort Scott, Kansas, to private James Dunlavy, Company D, Third Iowa Cavalry, captor of Major-General Marmaduke, Osage, October 25th, 1864."

"He says that in the charge at Osage he got separated from his company, but kept on. Noticed at some distance some blue coats. Thought they were our own boys. Bore down toward them, occasionally drawing a bead on a butternut whenever visible. Marmaduke saw him, noticed he was firing at secesh, galloped toward him, bridle-rein and revolver in hand, cursing him for shooting his own men. Dunlavy 'smelt a mice' saw they were blue-coated rebels, waited until Marmaduke got close to him, then drew a bead on him with his carbine and told him to surrender. Marmaduke thought he better had, and he did."


command did as gallant, brilliant service as any troopers in General Grierson's column. Colonel Noble immediately embarked, but did not leave Vicksburg until the evening of the 6th. Arriving at Memphis on the 11th, he received orders to report to General Upton, at Louisville, Kentucky, whither Major Jones had already gone from St. Louis, and where the Third Cavalry was Age more united, to take part in the last campaign of the war. The command was thoroughly fitted for the field&emdash;well armed, mounted, an Equipped, and having moved to northern Alabama, joined the forces whit a the latter part of March began that campaign, which must forever Remain prominent among the annals of war, and which has been popularly denominated




The young and distinguished General James H. Wilson, as wise in judgment as dashing and brilliant in execution, organized his forces for this expedition in northern Alabama, behind the Tennessee. That part of the cavalry corps engaged in the campaign consisted of three divisions of two brigades each, the troopers being mostly armed with Spencer carbines. Brigadier-General Edward McCook commanded the first division, his brigade commanders being General John T. Croxton, and Colonel La Grange of the First Wisconsin Cavalry. Croxton's Brigade was composed of Kentucky and Michigan troops, and the Eighth Iowa Cavalry, Colonel Dorr. The troopers in La Grange's Brigade were from Wisconsin, Indiana, and Kentucky. The Second Division, the largest of the three, was commanded by Brigadier-General Long. The First Brigade, Colonel A. O. Miller, was composed of four regiments of mounted infantry, two from Indiana, an two from Illinois. The Second, Colonel Minty, had two regiments from Ohio, one from Michigan and one from Pennsylvania, being the only eastern troops engaged. The other division, styled the Fourth, was commanded by Brevet Major-General Upton. Brevet Brigadier-General Edward Winslow commanded the First Brigade, composed of the Third and Fourth Iowa, and the Tenth Missouri Cavalry. The Second Brigade, Brevet Brigadier-General Alexander, consisted of the Fifth Iowa, and First and Seventh Ohio Cavalry. There was also a battery of horse artillery attaché to each division. The pontoon train was also supported by a battery. The entire number of troops was about twelve thousand, including the escort of the train carrying supplies and ammunition.

Thus organized) the command, as a whole, started from Chickasaw on the 22d of March, Upton's Division in the advance, and moved in a south easterly direction for about a week, to Elyton. This part of the route lay . over a rough and barren country; the roads were bad, the streams swollen and difficult of approach, making the march necessarily slow. Though no fighting took place, it was, perhaps, the worst part of the route. About the time the army reached Elyton, General Croxton left the column with his brigade to demonstrate against Tuscaloosa. He did not again join the column during the raid, but made one of great daring and success northward of the line taken by Wilson.

From Elyton to Selma, Wilson fought almost all the way, having a considerable battle on the 31st of March, gaining the victory of Ebenezer Church the 1st of April, and, not allowing the enemy time to recover from the dismay and demoralization, assaulted and carried the works of Selma on the 2d in as bold a battle as was ever fought. Large numbers of prisoners, and vast stores fell into our hands, the spoils of this splendid victory. Halting a week, to destroy the captured property, as well as to scour the country roundabout for many miles, General Wilson then pushed on to Montgomery, which fell an easy prey into the hands of McCook on the morning of the 12th. "'Our cloud of cavalry,' as it has been termed," says Chaplain J. W. Latham, of the Third, "made a very imposing appearance as we marched, colors flying and bands discoursing patriotic airs, through the broad streets of the city, the original seat of government of the Southern Confederacy." It was peculiarly gratifying to the troops to see the flag of our country proudly waving from the dome of the capitol where the traitor, Davis, had been inaugurated.

Resting one day General Wilson moved on eastward, directing McCook against West Point, and the principal column against Columbus, Georgia. La Grange's Brigade, forming now the principal part of McCook's command, attacked West Point on the 14th, and after a short but desperate battle captured the place. The rebel General Tyler and many other traitors were here slain. The same day, General Upton assaulted Columbus, about twenty miles below West Point on the Chattahoochee, and carried the city by a night attack, in which Winslow's Brigade bore the brunt of the fight and won undying laurels. Both the Third and Fourth regiments of Iowa Cavalry bore prominent part in this fine action.

Halting again to destroy his immense captures, General Wilson put his column in motion for Macon on the l9th. There were some captures made, and there was some skirmishing, but on the 20th, intelligence of the collapse of the rebellion was received, and the greatest raid of which we have any history came to an abrupt termination.

The raid was most remarkable in point of fighting. Assaults were made by night upon strong defenses hastily reconnoitered. Strong positions, well mounted, well manned, supported by superior forces of infantry, and protected by all the strength which engineering skill could command, were carried by an inferior force of cavalry, charging dismounted The impetuosity of the attacks was irresistible The raid was also remarkable in point of marching. The column had moved about five hundred miles during the thirty days' campaign of which twenty-one were marching days. So that the average was about twenty-five miles a day. Croxton marched more than six hundred miles. But perhaps the most remarkable characteristic of the campaign was its destructiveness to the rebel cause. It laid waste the granary of the South; demolished the iron-works, factories, arsenals, armories, shops, mills, upon which the rebels were dependent for arms, munitions, supplies; destroyed many miles of railway, including many bridges. Nearly seven thousand prisoners of war fell into our hands, two hundred and forty-one pieces of artillery, twenty-three stands of colors, and great numbers of small arms. "The effect of these terrible fires in the rear of the confederacy," says the intelligent correspondent of the Cincinnati Commercial, "cannot be over-estimated. They effectually destroyed the propagative quality of the last dragon's tooth, and sundered every nerve of the last ganglion of rebellion. The effect of Wilson's raid upon the southern hot-bed, is significantly apparent in the submissive tone of all this region. There is not a hand that has the nerve nor a voice the spirit left, to be lifted again in hostility to its government. "

There was not an engagement during the campaign where the Third Iowa did not behave with great gallantry, and the meritorious services of Colonel Noble and his command were universally acknowledged throughout. The regiment captured nearly seven hundred prisoners, about as many small arms, a number of guns and two colors. At Columbus, where part only of the regiment took part in the assault&emdash;a part having been left at Montgomery and not yet come up&emdash;the troopers of the Third captured more prisoners than they themselves numbered. The loss of the regiment during the campaign was about forty, killed and wounded.

The regiment moved from Macon to Atlanta, where it continued in the performance of such duties as were ordered till the 9th of August, when it was mustered out of service. The roster at this time was composed of the following officers:

Colonel John W. Noble, Brevet Brigadier General. Lieutenant-Colonel Benjamin S. Jones. Majors P. H. Walker, C. A. Stanton, George Curkendall. Surgeon George W. Carter. Assistant Surgeons T. J. Maxwell, Samuel Whitten. Chaplain James W. Latham. Company A, Captain W. G. Wilson; Lieutenants D. Bradbury, E. W. Tadlock. Company B. Captain A. H. Gage; Lieutenant W. E. Forker. Company a, captain Glenn Lowe; Lieutenants A. Roberts, C. W. Taylor. Company D, Captain John A. Pickler; Lieutenants John L. Morgan, D. C. Pearcy. Company E. Captain Thos. C. Gilpine; Lieutenants N. Batten, Charles A. McCord Company F. Captain Benjamin F. Crail; Lieutenants M. S. Crawford, Richard Gaines. Company G, Captain John S. Stidger; Lieutenants Charles B. Leech, John F. Watkins. Company H, Captain James R. Grousback; Lieutenants Samuel A. Young, William Wicoff. Company I, Captain Franz W. Arnim; Lieutenant John J. Veatch. Company K, Captain Newton C. Honnold; Lieutenants George W. Stamm, Josephus Miller. Company L, Captain John D. Brown; Lieutenants James C. Williams, Edward Mudgett. Company M, Captain George W. Johnson; Lieutenants John C. Gammill, W. A. Wright.

This regiment reached Davenport on the 21st, and was there finally disbanded, after a period of service of four years, during which, whether considered in respect of its commanding officers, the officers generally, or the rank and file, it had well won the highest admiration as a command composed of as excellent material as any in the army and which had made a history of effective service and brilliant deeds second to that of no regiment by whose aid the great rebellion was triumphantly overwhelmed.